Landlords of The Anchor Inn
1699-1723 William Bramwell
1724-1744 John Bramwell
1745-1767 William Bramwell Jnr
1768-1770 Robert Hrutt
1771-1774 Samuel Leech
1775-1784 Ruth Leech
1785-1792 William Palfreyman
1793-1813 William Hill
1813-1847 Francis Swindell Snr
1848-1877 Francis Swindell Jnr
1877-1894 William Swindell
1894-1899 Hannah Swindell
1899-1939 William Martin Chapman
1939-1940 Mary Chapman
1940-1953 James Henry Harrison
1953-1964 George William Bull
1964-1968 Tom Sarple
1968-1977 Bryan Stroud
1977-1994 John Alfred Lockie
1994-1997 George Anthony Heathcote
1997-1998 Andrew Forshaw
1998-2000 Leo Levett-Smith
2000-2001 Graham Peddie
2001-2008 Peter Morris
2008-2016 Paul Cropper
2016-Present Richard Samuel John Ellison
William Hill (1793-1813)
William Hill married Mary Morten at Tideswell in 1767, who had a daughter Elizabeth in 1783. In 1793, he became innkeeper of The Anchor Inn, succeeding William and Mary Palfreyman as mine-hosts. William Hill died at the age of 73 on the 14th June 1813, and his daughter went on to marry Francis Swindell - a native of Disley who worked on the farm some ten years prior in 1803.
He succeeded in father-in-law as innkeeper and lived there with their children and Mary Hill, his mother-in-law. Unfortunately, in 1824, their son William Hill Swindell died aged 15 and his ghost is one of many that is reputed to haunt the Inn alongside his grandmother Mary Hill who died January 1827, aged 70.
On the 5th November 1832, their other son, Francis, married Rebecca Lomas and also lost their son in 1839, aged only 6. They continued to live at the Inn with their family and parents and Francis Swindell Jnr succeeded his father as innkeeper in 1848 when Francis Swindell Snr retired.
Francis Swindell Jnr (1848-1877)
1861 saw Francis Swindell Jnr living here with his wife and six children. During this period he farmed 37 acres but by 1871, this increased to 83 acres which was quite a substantial holding.
His wife Rebecca died on the 26th October 1876 aged 66, with Francis Swindell Jnr following a mere 3 months later due to a broken heart.
William Swindell (1877-1894)
After the passing of his parents, William took over as Innkeeper and farmed 81 acres. One of his sisters Alice Chapman came to live with him again with her son William Chapman after becoming widowed. During this time, Alice became the Laundress at The Anchor Inn for a short time. By 1891, William Swindell remarried and continued to maintain the farm with his new wife, employing his niece Francis Alice Palfreyman as a servant.
The Anchor Inn had become popular with tourists at this period, as they marvelled at the beautiful sights of the surrounding vicinity.
The Anchor Inn was purchased in 1967 by Frederic's Robinsons Unicorn Brewery, Stockport. Today a warm and friendly welcome will always await you with fine ale and food, in this 400 year old inn.
The Anchor Inn started its first major refurbishment in over 70 years this winter, due to old wiring behind the walls not meeting legalities. We can't wait to see what more history we uncover as we strip the building back to its basics, and look forward to sharing its findings with you!