Landlords of The Old Hall Hotel
1719-1746 James Siddall (The Old Stone Daggers)
1746-1764 Thomas Siddall
1764-1789 William Howe
1789-1808 Robert Wilson
1808-1832 George Bentley (The Cross Daggers)
1832-1841 Charles Jackson
1842-1843 Robert Bagshaw
1843-1852 George Bocking
1852-1853 John Burgon
1853-1855 Benjamin Burgon
1855-1857 John Froggatt
1857-1865 George Wilson
1865-1873 Benjamin Littlewood
1873-1888 Robert Bingham (Old Hall Hotel)
The name was changed in 1873 and agreed in the court petty sessions from 14th September 1876
1888-1892 Matthew Robinson
1898-1899 Frederick Sellars
1899-1902 John Lindley
1902-1905 William Pexton Train
1905-1906 Albert Ledger
1906-1907 Ellen C Stables
1907-1911 Arthur Russell Quince
1911-1918 George Henry Leatham Dakin
1918-1921 Louisa Dakin
1921-1923 George Henry Leatham Dakin
1923-(Oct) George Ashton
1923-1941 Arthur James Wright
1941-1950 Mrs Elizabeth Wright
1950-1953 Douglas Henry William Burrell
1953-1955 John Bertram Frost
1955-1976 John Harry Jones
1976-1988 Ronald Rose
1988-1991 Ronald Newman
1991-1999 Martin Murphy
1999-2001 John Patrick Walker
2001-2002 Stephen Paul Field
2002-2003 Christopher & Diane Ripley
2003-2004 Ernest Roy Pritchard
2004-2005 Sarah Atkin
2005-2006 Paul Kevan Scott
2006-2007 Alistair Martin
2007-2008 Paul Kevan Scott
2008-2009 Alistair Martin
2009- Padraig Bannon
2009-2010 Elfed Pierce
2010-Present Richard Samuel John Ellison
On Thursday 7th August 1828, the inn was advertised for sale by auction, with stables, coach house, barn, cow house, garden, yard and 22 acres of land listed. The river Noe ran through the estate accompanied by 3 dwelling houses, a joiners shop and a blacksmiths all adjoining the hall.
The inn once again went up for auction in July 1834 & August 1842. In October 1835, four young men were committed to Derby Gaol for stealing a silk handkerchief belonging belonging to innkeeper Charles Jackson (1832-1841). They were found guilty and imprisoned to one month each with hard labour.
George Bocking (1843-1852)
In 1843, George Bocking took over the hall and immediately reinstated the adjacent market which had lapsed due to an outbreak of foot and mouth. In 1846, he began a stage coach "The Royal Hope", which ran from here at 7AM to Sheffield, which then called at the Cutlers Arms, Inn, and the King's Head three days a week. In September of that year, the ostler named Beckett, died attempting to drink two quarts of ale at one draught, whilst celebrating a local wedding.
As well as an innkeeper & coach proprietor, George Bocking also farmed 70 acres of land, helped by his wife Charlotte and their two daughters Elisabeth and Maryanne and his father in law, Joseph Hobson, who was an Assistant Innkeeper. They also had 3 servants in their employment. The Old Hall Hotel has had a long history of community involvement. When the Oddfellows were established in 1845 their constitution set out that they should meet "at the house of Brother George Bocking".
George Wilson took over in 1857, farming 27 acres.
Robert Bingham (1873-1888)
In 1863, Hope Agricultural Show was founded here and held their shows in a large field belonging to the Inn when it was also a farm to be followed by a dinner. Show Judge and Exhibitor of prize cattle, Robert Bingham took over the Cross Daggers in 1873, and had it officially renamed Old Hall Hotel on September 14th 1876.
He was also a butcher and farmer of an impressive 120 acres!
Matthew Robinson (1888-1892)
The Old Hall was bought by Truswell's Brewery Co. of Sheffield in 1888. Thousands attended the Hope Show in 1894, with the recent opening of the railway. Amongst those in attendance were were the Duke of Devonshire and the Duke & Duchess of Rutland.
An advert of the same year read "Matthew Robinson wishes all his old Sheffield friends to give him a call at The Old Hall Hotel"
John "Jolly Jack" Jones (1955-1976)
Affectionately remembered by many locals as a "quiet, jovial character", Jack Jones ran Old Hall for 21 years. His wife, Rose had a signature look of jet black hair and red lipstick. During Jack Jones' reign as landlord here, you would find Ken Outram, who was a well known blind organist in Hope, playing the piano and organ for customers. Another well known local was Tony Singleton, who would serve "ham butties from a large joint with lots of different pickles".
Jack Jones went onto run Dore More Inn in 1976. a few years earlier, Tony Singleton had opened The House of Anton, taking most of Jack's staff with him. Jolly Jack handled this in his usual fun way, and from that moment on referred to his new competition as "The Poachers". Upon Tony's retirement, the name stuck, and House of Anton became The Poachers Arms.
The inn was acquired by Hope & Anchor Ltd in 1955, Bass Charrington in 1974 and in 1992 by Martin & Jillian Murphy.
As of 2010, Rick Ellison (2010-Present) proudly holds the title of landlord, offering fine ale, homemade food and accommodation, inn-keeping with tradition.